Job Shadow procedure (overview) - see Details below
- Turn in Job Shadow Registration Form beginning Tuesday, January 22.
- Verify that your student id is listed on the Registration List on Tuesday, January 29.
- Sign up for jobs beginning Monday, February 11.
- Attend mandatory orientation on Thursday, March 14 at the beginning of tutorial or lunch in the Auditorium.
- Confirm with your host and cc jobshadow (email@example.com) by Friday, March 15 at 4:00pm
- Go to Job Shadow assignment.
- Write thank you note.
- Take on-line survey.
- Registration - January 22 - 25
Download the Job Shadow Registration Form and print it out. Fill it out COMPLETELY with all required SIGNATURES and INITIALS. Return the completed form into the box in the College and Career Center which is located inside the library. Please turn the form in by Friday, January 25.
- Verify that you are eligible
On Tuesday, January 29, check JS Registration List posted on the bulletin boards by the Library and Cafeteria, as well as on the JS webpage. If your student ID is not listed, then you did not submit the Registration form or your form was incomplete. If you feel that this is incorrect please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sign up for Jobs - Check In / Check Out
- Look over available jobs on our website under Job Descriptions.
- Write down the jobs you are interested in and save for later use
- When your class is eligible to sign up for a job, fill out the on-line job selection form to submit. (See procedure below: When it is your time to sign up for jobs).
- 10pm online start - no early filling out of form and can only sign up ONCE!
You may list as many jobs as you like, but be sure that you are willing to go to any of these. Do not list any job that you do not really want!
- Juniors are eligible to sign up starting at 10:00 pm on Monday, February 11.
- Seniors are eligible to sign up starting at 10:00 pm on Tuesday, February 12.
- Sophomores are eligible to sign up starting at 10:00pm on Wednesday, February 13.
- Freshmen are eligible to sign up starting at 10:00pm on Thursday, February 14.
Each class begins their job selection at 10:00 PM on the night designated above. The class will be split into groups based on when you submit your job selections. At the end time of each group everyone who has submitted their job selection will be randomly processed by the computer and receive a job assignment.* Every person in a given group has the same weight as anyone else, regardless of when in the time period you submit your jobs. The group time breakdown is as follows:
- 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM
- 11:00 PM to 12:00 AM
- 12:00 AM to 8:00 AM
- 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Please take your time in selecting and ordering your jobs. You will only be allowed to submit your job selection once, and any jobs that you rank must be considered acceptable to you.
* If all the jobs you have selected are already full, you will not receive a job assignment. You will remain in the system in the order your job selection was processed (randomly) by the computer. If an opening should occur, the computer will bring up the students who did not receive a job and try to fill the opening with someone who has requested/listed that job.
When it is your time to sign up for jobs:
- Go to the Check In tab and complete the information on the form, then hit the submit button. It should say on the screen (in the upper right) that you are the current student.
- Go to the Job Descriptions tab and peruse the list for jobs that interest you. You will be collecting jobs in a shopping cart. You will be able to edit the cart once you are done selecting jobs.
- Click on any job listing for more detailed information about that job and to also bring up the shopping cart. This will (also) give you the opportunity to place this job in your shopping cart
- Check the date and time to make sure you can attend. Also, check the special requirements and make sure you qualify.
- Continue placing jobs until you have selected all of the jobs you would be willing to shadow
- Go to the Check Out tab and you will see a list of all the jobs in your cart. To the left of each one is an up arrow and a down arrow.
- Use these arrows to move the jobs around until the list in is order by preference with the top job being your first (top) choice. Every effort will be made to give you this job, but it is understood that every job on this list is acceptable to you.
- Delete any jobs that you no longer are interested in.
- IMPORTANT: Be sure to double check the special requirements for each job to be sure that you meet them. Do not choose any job where you do not meet the special requirements.
- You may initially get assigned a job even if you do not meet the special requirements, but you will not be able to keep this job. At that point in time the jobs currently available will be severely limited, so watch the requirements and abide by them.
- We encourage you to pick jobs that are open, but you may choose jobs that are closed, however you will not be assigned any of these if there are any open jobs on your list. It is extremely unlikely that closed jobs will open up, but in the event that they do, if you do not have a job assignment, the computer will try to match you with this new opening.
- Be sure this list is exactly as you want—you can only submit one time!
- Click on the "Submit" button to finalize your choices.
- Once you click on the "Submit" button, you will receive a notification that lists all of your preferences. You may want to print this list for your records.
- You will receive an email (towards the end of February) that will tell you which job you have received.
- Respond to this email within 2 days to confirm that you understand which job you have been assigned to and that you accept this assignment, otherwise you might lose your job assignment.
- If there is a compelling reason why you can not accept this assignment, you must let us know at this time. You will not be allowed to choose another job once you have refused an assignment.
- If you did not receive any of the jobs you listed, you may peruse the job description list again to see if any open jobs interest you. Email email@example.com. to let us know of another job you would now be willing to take."
- Mandatory Orientation
Attend the Job Shadow MANDATORY orientation on Thursday, March 14, 2013 at the beginning of tutorial or the beginning of lunch in the Auditorium. You will receive details of your job shadow assignment (host name and contact information, where to meet host, etc.).
- Confirm with your host by 4pm on Friday, March 15 via email and be sure to cc jobshadow (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Go to your Job Shadow assignment on your assigned date.
Dress appropriately. Remember, you are representing Lynbrook.
- Write a thank you note to your host
This may be done via email or you may send an old-fashioned hand written thank you note. April 2nd is the deadline to send out Thank You notes. See Thank You/Survey tab for detailed instructions (will be available after registration is closed).
- On-line survey
Take the online survey after you have attended your job shadow assignment. See Thank You/Survey tab for detailed instructions.